Mrs. Propst's Science Class Expectations This list does not encompass every conceivable circumstance. My goal is to help parents and students understand what is expected in my classroom so that I can provide children with a safe, orderly environment that promotes maximum student learning. Please extend your trust to me that I will handle each situation as fairly and consistently as possible.
1. In order to participate in class you must be prepared. Please bring all materials needed for class (including CALCULATOR & PENCIL) each day.
• Students are expected to work only on science assignments during science class.
• You will be expected to participate in ALL class activities. No sleeping in class.
• You are responsible for all material covered in class.
• Please use your assignment notebook.
2. Papers are due at the beginning of class the day they are due. Late papers will not be accepted.
• If absent, assignments are due one day after returning to school. Please let me know that you have been absent if you do not find any assignments in the absent bin. This is your responsibility!
3. Once in the classroom you are expected to stay.
• You must be in your assigned seat when the bell rings.
• After the bell rings, you should get organized and be ready to start class.
• If you are tardy, need to leave the classroom to use the bathroom, or get a drink, you will need to use a team pass or receive a tardy.
• On the third tardy you will receive a detention. Tardies start over each grading period.
• If a teacher is not in the classroom, you should sit in your seat and do your work quietly.
4. Cheating will not be tolerated. If I believe you are cheating I will throw your paper away and you will receive a zero. You may also be required to call your parent or guardian.
• If 2 or more of you work on a lab together and I require each of you to turn in a paper, it must be your own work.
5. Proper lab procedures and safety rules must be followed to participate during lab. • Property damage will not be tolerated. Students may be assigned cleaning duty and/or be required to pay the school for damages.
• Students will be required to work with others during labs. Each student is responsible for the safety of the group.
• If I feel that a student is a safety threat to themselves or others, I may remove that student from the lab for an extended period of time.
6. Students may earn extra credit by helping the teacher before or after school.
• Students may help by setting up or tearing down labs, cleaning, or tutoring.
• Students must not be missing several assignments to earn extra credit.
7. No eating or drinking in class without my permission. This includes candy.
• If you have gum and I cannot tell that you do, I will not bother you. If I see or hear someone chewing gum in the classroom, all students must throw their gum away.
• No gum on lab days--chemical hazard!
8. Detentions will be assigned for excess tardies or minor misbehaviors.
• Detentions consist of cleaning duties after school.
• Students must show up on the day assigned by 3:20 and are required to stay until 4:00.
• Students have one week to serve the detention (Tues.-Thurs.) or it will double.
• If the detention is not served in this time, he/she will be referred to the office.
9. Mrs. Propst’s Main Rule—Be courteous to others in the classroom.
• Do not talk or tap when others are talking (this includes the teacher).
• The bell does not dismiss the students, the teacher does.